Re: Differences in RH Fedora coming from Debian

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 11:24:17AM +0000, Richard Lyons wrote:
> On Thursday 15 January 2004 09:19, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > I'm taking a class this semester which is all about installing and
> > using Linux. After talking with the professor on Tuesday, I've
> > learned a few details. First, I have to use Vulgarly Illogical for my
> > text editor for the purposes of labs, tests, etc. As illustrated by
> > the previous sentence, I'm an emacs user. :)
> [...]
> I have to admit to the reverse prejudice.  Cannot get all those ctl-X
> combinations into my head...

Actually, there is also a reason to teach 'vi' in classes like that.  We
all have our own personal preferences when it comes to editors, but the
reality still is that quite often when a system is half broken in single
user mode and one needs to edit this or that file to bring it back to life
'vi' is the only editor available.  Believe me, I've been doing technical
support for quite a while and had to walk a few sysadmins through the
painful process of editing in file using 'vi' when they had absolutely no
knowledge of the tool.

> RH also uses the sysV init stuff, but the rc.d directories are
> subdirectory of /etc/init.d , IIRC.  It also has a command 'service'
> for starting/restarting/stopping services and another chkconfig for
> listing/modifying the sysV services, which may not exist in Debian (I
> haven't found them yet anyway).

I believe that's SuSE.  Red Hat and Fedora have the "rc.d" directories
directly off "/etc/".

Nitebirdz
http://www.sacredchaos.com/