Re: problem with network configurations

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 08:34:11AM -0800, enantiomer wrote:
> > > iface eth0 inet dynamic

I overlooked this.  It couldn't work, because...

> ok, i was not being very observant and forgot to switch the 'dynamic'
> word to 'static' when I got home to my static IP network.  I still

... `dynamic' is an IPX method, not an IP (``inet'') one.  ifup (version
0.6.4) shows the following errors when run & returns 1:

% ifup
/etc/network/interfaces:23: unknown method ifup: couldn't read
interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"

Please try out your config before posting, and mention/post the errors
you encounter, if you are unable to work them out.

> dont know how to make it so I can switch back and forth from static to
> dhcp though.  one way I have gathered is by switching the 'static'
> word with 'dynamic' in my interfaces file and typing ifdown eth0 and
> then ifup eth0 (I haven't tried that yet), but that seems like kind of

See interfaces(5) for valid methods.

> a hassle.  Anyone know if that will work?  Anyone know of a better
> way?  Thanks for the input,

I haven't tried anything, but theoretically there are many ways to do
this, ranging from Mobile-IP, and packages in Debian to facilitate IP
configuration management for different environments, through running
your own DHCP/friends server, to having two or more interfaces(5)
interface names, and switching between them using ``ifdown eth0_static''
-> ``nameif eth0_dhcp <MACADDRESS>'' -> ``ifup eth0_dhcp'' (surely there
are more elegant ways to do this, this is just a first approximation).

HTH,
Jan.

--
Jan Minar                   "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 9