Re: Problem with Startx - Intel 8284 5G

Praveen Kumar wrote:

Hi !
 I am new to debian and have just installed it on my system but the XServer does not work. The hardware configuration of my PC is as follows:

PIV - 2.66 GHz
512 MB RAM
Video Chip - Intel(R) 8284 5G/GL/GE/PE/GV
Vendor - Dell
Monitor - Dell
H Sync - 30-85
V Sync - 50-160
Mouse - Optical USB Mouse

The driver that I use for video is "vesa". I tried with i810 but it also didn't work. When I started x server for the first time, the x screen appeared for a brief instance. But afterwards it never happened.

The following log is generated when I start the x server:

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way.  Bugs may be reported to XFree86@XFree86.Org and patches submitted
to fixes@XFree86.Org.  Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)

XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System
Release Date: 21 December 2001

<snip>

(**) Option "Protocol" "Auto"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "Auto"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS1"
(==) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 3
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
(**) Generic Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
(**) Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
(**) Generic Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
	No such device.
(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
(EE) Configured Mouse: cannot determine the mouse protocol
Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 4.  Server aborting

Looks like you have a mouse problem. A(n) USB mouse is usually on /dev/input/mice, yet X doesn't find a mouse there, which probably means you don't have the necessary USB drivers loaded.

You might try:
modprobe hid (Human Interface Device - fancy words for mouse or keyboard driver) modprobe uhci (or ohci - see output of "lspci -v" for clue - motherboard chipset driver for usb bus) Maybe a couple of others, such as usbcore and/or usbmouse, etc. Not having a USB mouse'd machine in front of me, I don't remember the specifics.

--
Kent