Re: Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 01:21:34PM +0000, vvarsanyi@comcast.net wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>  I'm having difficulty getting this webcam to work.  I compiled the phillips
> webcam module as part of the kernel, it appears to load properly but still does
> not work. /dev/video0 did not exist so i created it with 'mknod /dev/video0 c 81
> 0'. Here's what the kernel shows on load:
> pwc Philips PCA645/646 + PCVC675/680/690 + PCVC730/740/750 webcam module version
> 8.12 loaded.
> pwc Also supports the Askey VC010, various Logitech QuickCams, Samsung MPC-C10
> and MPC-C30,
> pwc the Creative WebCam 5, SOTEC Afina Eye and Visionite VCS-UC300 and
> VCS-UM100.
> drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver Philips webcam
> Philips webcam 2-1:1.1: usb_probe_interface
> Philips webcam 2-1:1.1: usb_probe_interface - got id
> pwc Logitech QuickCam 4000 Pro USB webcam detected.
> pwc Registered as /dev/video0.
>
> I try to access the cam with gnome-meeting and it says it's unaccessable.  I was
> going to try and add the pwcx binary module but apparently there's versioning
> problems with it.

Could be a permissions issue. What are the owner/group and permissions
settings on your /dev/video0? It should be

crw-rw----    1 root     video     81,   0 Dec  8 20:26 /dev/video0

...and your user should be a member of group video.

Chances are you'll also need a /dev/video which is a symlink to /dev/video0
as some apps look at /dev/video by default.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons