Re: maildirmake

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 04:59, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 02:39:21PM -0500, Mike Mueller wrote:
> > I am a MTA/MDA/MUA email noob.  I am doing things piecemeal to understand
> > the functioning of each component.
<snip>
> > How are maildir and folders usually set up?  With an MUA?
> > --
>
> Hi Mike,
> here is something I recall.
> I have sendmail and procmail and fetchmail.
> fetchmail (using cron) get my email and passes it to sendmail for local
> delivery. Sendmail using procmail to sortout what to do with my mail and
> where to drop it.
> so:
> fetchmail->sendmail->procmail->mailboxes

Thanks for the reply Kevin.

I was thinking about doing this:

1. POP3->getmail->mailboxes
2. POP3->getmail->procmail->mailboxes
3. POP3->getmail->procmail->mailboxes<-MUA (Mutt for example)
4. throw in spam filtering
5. MUA->nullmailer->SMTP Smart Relay

I am avoiding sendmail because (IMO) it's big and does things I don't need.
I wish I could find the Young Folks Book of OSS Email Solutions with big
colorful pictures and simple statements about the benefits and drawbacks of
each configuration (links appreciated).  Without that book I am left to
assemble what I think is the simplest collection of tools for my situation in
a trial-and-error fashion.  At the outset, by using getmail, I am faced with
the daunting choice of mbox versus maildirs.  Great. All I need is a
controversy.

Long discussion on debian-devel on maildirmake:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200306/msg01420.html

Tools for converting mbox to maildir:
http://qmail.mscnetworks.com/top.html#maildir

As I go through the steps above I wonder where the mailboxes come from.  The
various agents need to know about the mailboxes (obviously).  So the choices
are:

1. use maildirmake which is not a part of base debian; I suppose I could load
in qmail and get it, but drag in that monster for a script?  Should I ask the
Debian getmail package maintainer to include maildirmake?
2. create them manually which worked; still haven't found how folders are
specified but I have found some source code to read; not enthused about
reading source when I'm in the noob stage; never enthused about reading PERL
;-)
3. start learning Mutt and use it to create maildir targets; haven't really
got the hang of getmail yet and now I've got to get Mutt out of the box? it's
probably not that hard

In the end, 3. is probably the preferred choice.  Then you modify the
procmail recipes to use the new mail folder as desired.  I haven't actually
done this yet, I am plotting a course.

> this is a portion of my .procmailrc
> ----------------------
>
> PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
> MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
> DEFAULT=$HOME/mbox
> LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/rules/from
>
> :0 c
>
> $MAILDIR/backup
>
> :0
>
> * ^To:.*perlsemny
> $MAILDIR/monthly/perlsemny
>
> :0
>
> * ^From:.*handspring
> $MAILDIR/other/handspring
> ----------------------------------
> Here is sort of an answer to your question.
> the 'mail rule' ^To:.*perlsemny asks if the message is from someone with
> the address containing the word 'perlsemny'. if it does it moves the
> mail into $MAILDIR/monthly/perlsemny.
> if $MAILDIR/monthly/perlsemny is a file, then
> the mail is saved in mbox format inside the file.
> BUT if it is a directory, the mail is
> saved in maildir format inside the directory.
> This is how things work with procmail.
> -Kev

Are you using mbox or maildir?

--