Re: maildirmake

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 02:39:21PM -0500, Mike Mueller wrote:
> I am a MTA/MDA/MUA email noob.  I am doing things piecemeal to understand the
> functioning of each component. I've got getmail pulling from a POP3 account.
> I had to create my Maildir manually:
>
> mkdir Maildir
> mkdir Mail/dir/new
> mkdir Mail/dir/tmp
> mkdir Mail/dir/cur
>
> I found a file in ~/Maildir/new after running getmail.  It was the email I
> sent intentionally from another machine running KMail.
>
> I don't have/can't find maildirmake on my Knoppix/Sid system or my Woody
> system.
>
> I do not have an MUA installed.
>
> How are maildir and folders usually set up?  With an MUA?
> --
Hi Mike,
here is something I recall.
I have sendmail and procmail and fetchmail.
fetchmail (using cron) get my email and passes it to sendmail for local
delivery. Sendmail using procmail to sortout what to do with my mail and
where to drop it.
so:
fetchmail->sendmail->procmail->mailboxes
this is a portion of my .procmailrc
----------------------

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
DEFAULT=$HOME/mbox
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/rules/from

:0 c
$MAILDIR/backup

:0
* ^To:.*perlsemny
$MAILDIR/monthly/perlsemny

:0
* ^From:.*handspring
$MAILDIR/other/handspring
----------------------------------
Here is sort of an answer to your question.
the 'mail rule' ^To:.*perlsemny asks if the message is from someone with
the address containing the word 'perlsemny'. if it does it moves the
mail into $MAILDIR/monthly/perlsemny.
if $MAILDIR/monthly/perlsemny is a file, then
the mail is saved in mbox format inside the file.
BUT if it is a directory, the mail is
saved in maildir format inside the directory.
This is how things work with procmail.
-Kev