Re: BitDefender-postfix

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:34:31AM +0200, Hans du Plooy wrote:
| Has anybody used this package

No, but I know something about postfix.

| successfully?  The logs complain:
|
|  <hansdp@ncshans.newingtoncs.co.za>: User unknown in local recipient table (in
| reply to RCPT TO command)

Do you understand what this messge says?  I can infer from it that
"ncshans.newingtoncs.co.za" is listed in $mydestination and that
"hansdp" is not found in a map listed in $local_recipient_maps.

| This doesn't happen when I comment the relevant BitDefender lines in main.cf
| and master.cf.

What are those lines?  Uncomment those lines and post the output of
    $ postconf -d

| So this recipient table seems to be part of BitDefender.

No, it's part of postfix.

| No tool seems to be provided to manipulate this table, and no
| mention is made in the provided docs.  I also can't find a file in
| the package that contains this table.

Where the table is and what data store is holding it is specified by
the $local_recipient_maps parameter.  The table can be a simple text
file or could be a SQL or LDAP database.

| The docs talk about  BitDefenderRemoteAdmin.exe on the supplied CD, but it's
| not on the CD supplied by their people, and I can't find it on their website
| either.  Google gave me one link which points to the line in their docs
| telling me to "click on  BitDefenderRemoteAdmin.exe."  Any ideas?

What is this "BitDefender" thing?  Do you know what it is?  Do you
know what it does?  Do you wholly trust the people who made it to run
your system?  What I am getting at is you should not apply -any-
configuration items to any software, particularly server software
exposed to the internet, until you first understand what the settings
do and have decided that those settings are desirable for your site.

-D

--
\begin{humor}
Disclaimer: