Re: single desktop per user with vncserver through inetd

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:25:44AM +0100, John Smith wrote:
>    how about defining multiple ip-addresses on your 'server', with each
> having their own hostname and running a user unique vnc server on
> each?

Well, that would eliminate the need to put :NN after the hostname, but not
the elegant solution I was looking for, and a large usage of IP addresses...

I thought of starting a script in the Xsession file that would lookup what
port the user should be using, and then connect to that port after a login
with [gkx]dm, but that would add more overhead with the X clients
communicating with the Xvnc server, which sent data to xvncviewer in
(possibly) the same machine, and then sending it to another Xvnc server that
was created from the inetd connection and then finally going out over the
network to my client.  As you can see not very effecient.

Anyway, I'm using the one port per user thing right now and it's working ok...

But don't hesitate to let me know if you have any more ideas that might help.

Mike