Re: single desktop per user with vncserver through inetd

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 09:09:32AM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Mike Fedyk wrote:
> >Is there a way to do this with one port and inetd, or will I have to use
> >several ports, and tell my users which port is theirs (and start desktops
> >for 50 users from init.d).
>
>     I don't think there is.  This sounds more the domain of...  Crap, can't
> remember the name.  It's an X protocol where a local X server sends a
> request to the remote side to start a session.  XCPDM?

You mean XDMCP.

I really don't see what the OP's problem is... the vncserver package comes
with documentation on how to set it up through inetd to provide an xdm
chooser on connect via XDMCP.  I have it configured so on all the other
boxen in the house so that anyone can use any box from anywhere.

You do have to be able to read, of course.

I have to agree, though, running VNC or XDMCP through the general internet
is a bad idea.  Of course, you could run VNC though an ssh tunnel...

--
 Marc Wilson |     Falling in love is a lot like dying.  You never get
 msw@cox.net |     to do it enough to become good at it.