Re: OT: Why stonehenge Sucks

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:12:38 -0800, Deryk Barker wrote:

> My major beef is the way that they allow the "Druids" (virutually
> nothing is known about the real Druids aside from a paragraph in
> Caesar) to prance about there on midsummer's morning.
>
> Firstly the real Druids did *not* build Stonehenge and secondly the
> rpesent-day druids were founded in the 18th (?) century by John Aubrey
> (he of Brief Lives fame) who surveyed Stonehenge and after whom the
> Aubrey holes are named.
>
> These present day idiots in their KKK-style outfits have no more right
> to special treatment at Stonehenge than does Bugs Bunny. Actually
> rather less.

I am *so* glad that you posted this. So much nonsense is talked about the
Druids, and me being Welsh and they being my forebears, I get probably
more irritated than most.

Oh, and, don't believe what Caesar wrote in De Bello Gallico anyway. It's
not really a history;  his motivation was political in writing a
self-aggrandizing set of stories about himself, and to provide excuses for
his failures, like twice getting his ass kicked out of Britain, by
portraying his enemies, in this case the British people and Druids, as
conducting unpleasant rituals such as wholesale human sacrifice, when,as
far as I am aware, there is no evidence that such practices took place.

I'm no history scholar, just my personal opinion.  I am basing my remarks
on memory of Julius Caesar's writing.  I do not have a very high opinion
of Julius Caesar, as is probably obvious. It's a shame that his
assassination did not re-establish the Republic.

Thanks again, though, for your remarks, very heartening to know that not
everybody falls for the modern Druid idiocy.

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.