octave mode in xemacs

Hello. I'm having problems with the Octave mode in XEmacs. I just
made an upgrade of my sid system (January 9), and installed the
octave2.1-emacsen package, version 2.1.52-1. I have installed
xemacs21-mule, as well, version 21.4.14-1. I tried opening a new file
test.m, and it correctly started the Octave mode (before, it started
the ObjC mode). But if I write something innocent as `if' to start
with, and then I press the space or the return key, xemacs does
nothing in the buffer, and complains: "Symbol's function definition
is void: line-beginning position".

If I open an existing file, it uses colors in the right way. But if I
give an enter after a line such as 'axis([0 1 0 1])', then it adds a
blank line after it, but cursor remains in the same position, and I
get the same message as above.

In summary, I have very limited editing capabilities at the time.

I don't have any other flavors of Emacs/XEmacs installed, only the
mule version of xemacs21, and my ~/.xemacs/init.el and
~/.xemacs/custom.el only have lines regarding TeX-mode, scroll wheel,
and things that shouldn't evidently interfere with Octave mode. I
think so because I had previously installed xemacs21-mule and
octave2.0-emacsen in a woody machine, and it worked, with the same
init.el and custom.el.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

						Victor