Re: Opengl Support for debian -- ATI rage 128 video card

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 11:20, George App wrote:
> How do you configure opengl support for debian?  I am currently running
> sarge and my computer has a ATI rage 128 video card.

I presume by sarge you mean the testing distribution, with XFree86 4.2.

You need to configure XFree86 to load both the "dri" and "glx" modules,
and to use the "ati" driver.  I'm assuming the card is a PCI card.  If
it's AGP, you also need to have the agpgart kernel module loaded as
well.

You'll also need the xlibmesa3* packages.

If glxinfo in X11 does not show something like:

        direct rendering: yes
        OpenGL vendor string: VA Linux Systems, Inc.
        OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20010405 Pro AGP 4x x86/MMX/3DNow!
        OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4.1

then you only have software 3D rendering.

In my experience, failure to get direct rendering operational lies in
the version mismatch between the DRM kernel modules and the XFree86 DRI
modules.

If you're using XFree86 4.2, I think the DRM kernel modules packaged
with 2.4.* kernels should work, except for the 2.4.23 onwards - those
are compatible with the DRI modules packaged with XFree86 4.3 (which is
currently in experimental).

NOTE: I have an ATI Radeon 7500, so take above with a grain of salt, or
two.

--
Steven Yap <syap@shaw.ca>