Re: switching from woody to unstable/testing

Goran Christiansson wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am a newbie to Debian, and I ran into problems today. I did just like it
> says here below, but when I reboot I do not come further than "LI" of
> "LILO".
>
> After googleing a bit I found that this was a "well known" problem, and
> that> it can be solved using a boot disk.
>
> Could someone explain to me, step by step, what I shall do when I have
> booted with the boot-disk?

I suspect the root cause is incorrect hard disk setup in the system BIOS.
Try changing BIOS settings for disk access, more specifically enabling LBA
then probably trying out variations of PIO modes.
When done, boot using a rescue disk and re-run lilo. A Knoppix cd will
come in handy here. If you used debian cd images to install, then you can
also boot using one of the first 4 disks and type "rescue" at the prompt.
NB: Changing BIOS settings described above can affect how some other
existing OS functions. And another small thing, please do not reply to a
mail when posting a afresh. Compose a new mail and use a subject that
briefly explains the problem you're facing.
Have a nice day.

--

Alphonse Ogulla
Nairobi, Kenya