Mouse issues

Hey Debian fans,

I'm having a problem with my mouse in X. I'm using a Microsoft
Intellimouse 3.0 (the one with the small buttons on the side). I have
two machines with this mouse, both using the USB interface, and only one
of the machines has this issue, though they're both using identical
XF86Config settings.

The problem is, if I go to drag something, and I start dragging too
quickly, apparently X catches my mousedown event late, and the window
doesn't drag. For example, if I go to drag my xterm down, often the
click will be detected when my pointer is already down over the text,
and it'll highlight some stuff instead of moving the window. If I keep
the mouse still for a moment while holding the button down, and THEN
drag, it's fine.

Anyway, I don't have this problem on the other box, and I'm used to
being very quick with my mouse so I wonder what's up? The only
SIGNIFICANT difference between the machines is that the one that works
is running 2.4.22, whereas the "broken" one is at 2.6.0. I don't think
this should matter, though, unless the core input stuff has changed
drastically.

Here is what I have in my XF86Config on BOTH machines:

Section "InputDevice"

	Identifier	"Mouse1"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"Protocol"	"ExplorerPS/2"
	Option		"Device"	"/dev/mouse"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"	"6 7"
	Option "Buttons" "7"

EndSection

Now, the machine that actually has the problem is running Gentoo, but I
figured that since it's based on Debian, and since I have had such good
luck here that I would just ask. Perhaps it makes you all feel better to
know that the machine that DOES work is running Sid.

Has anyone ever had this problem with wonky click detection?

--
Aaron Bieber
-