Am I using my hard drives right?

Last Feb/Mar/Apr, as I learned Linux, I tried somewhat dilligently to
understand if my IDE drives were being used "as fast as possible" -- I
have a couple of UDMA/100 and a couple of UDMA/133 devices.

I was thoroughly confused, but I got far enough to roughly guess that my
drives were not operating in the old 33 way; but I didn't do anything
special.

Can somebody explain concisely and/or provide links to *simple*
procedures to verify my IDE hard drives and CDs are using "advanced
features" and are "tweaked"?

Is it reasonable to accept that the kernel will just autodetect things
optimally?  I know with the Windows kernel you need to download stuff
from Intel.com for Windows 2000 or things are in "compatability" mode by
default.