Re: Webmin doesn't install properly on Woody?

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:11:07 -0500 (EST),
"Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org> wrote in message
<[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.58.0401111957520.4154@diku.intranet.braincell.com>:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Mac McCaskie wrote:
> >
> > -The current .deb package does not install all needed packages.
>
> You mean apt-get install webmin doesn't install all webmin modules?
> That's by design.  Each module (apart from a few essential core ones)
> is a seperate module.  Think about it.  If you are running postfix why
> would you need a sendmail module?  If you are running proftpd why
> would you need a wuftpd module installed?  Etc.
>
> Or do you mean some other ptoblem?
>
> > -Webmin is way behind (ie out of date) in Woody.
> > -The maintainer is apparently not keeping up.
>
> Again this is by design.  When a Debian distribution becomes stable,
> no new software is added to it.  Testing/unstable contains version
> 1.110 which is the most current.

..while webmin is now at 1.121.

> Problems with the woody packages are likely never going to be fixed.
> I advise you to install the versions from sarge which will install
> cleanly on a woody system.  You can do this in one of two ways:

..the third way is first install the woody stuff with apt-get, then
enter webmin's own update menu and update it, it'll them suck
in a tarball with all modules.

..the 3 wee bits missing IMHO, is it oughtta first check which modules
are installed, and offer to weed out the surplus modules (some are
new), and it oughtta report the changes to the database, or place
it in /usr/local or /opt.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: