Webmin doesn't install properly on Woody?

Hey folks,

I'm fairly new to debian and have been playing around getting a web server up and running.

I ran into what I thought sounded like a dream come true, WebMin. So I installed it via dselect with some packages I thought I'd need. However now I cannot get it to run. After doing some spelunking I've discovered a few things via comments I've read around and about.

-The current .deb package does not install all needed packages.
-Webmin is way behind (ie out of date) in Woody.
-The maintainer is apparently not keeping up.
-There is no bug report about it's failure to install properly.

Now, before my b*tt gets flamed, I realize I am a newbie and the problem may not be webmin. And if you flame a noowbie then shame on you.

My real question is this,
-should I give up on Woody and move to Sarge as one post (elsewhere) suggested in hopes that Sarge's .deb will actually work? -give up on the .deb package system and use the .tar file - (takes me back to DOS days)?
-just shut up and hope someday it will be magically fixed?

Thanks for any help,

Mac <confused> McCaskie