Re: 2.6 and devfsd

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 05:38:15PM +0100, John L. Fjellstad wrote:
> Nitebirdz wrote:
>
> > Yes, devfs is considered to be deprecated in the 2.6 kernel and it has
> > been
> > replaced with sysfs and udev.
>
> sysfs/udev is not a replacement for devfs yet.  Not everything that needs to
> be moved to sysfs has been moved to sysfs.  And udev is still somewhere
> between proof-of-concept and beta...
> - From what I can understand from the kernel mailing list, nobody is removing
> devfs until the next major version (so, it will be removed during 2.7, and
> gone completely in 2.8).  Meaning those who are using devfs now, should be
> safe until 2.8 comes out (I wouldn't install new systems with devfs, but I
> wouldn't remove devfs from systems that runs it either).

OK, let me clarify then.  Deprecated doesn't mean it doesn't work, but it
does mean it is not actively maintained anymore and/or only major bug fixes
will happpen.  That appears to be the consensus whenever the issue is raised
in the Linux kernel mailing list.  The most recent thread is covered here:

http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/kt20031226_246.html#2

In any case, one of the nice things about Linux is that features people like
and use stay around for a _long_ time after they are considered to be
officially deprecated.  However, I'd definitely recommend using sysfs and
stay away from devfs if possible at all since that appears to be where all
or most future development will be happening.

Nitebirdz
http://www.sacredchaos.com/