Re: (OT) What books would give better insight into networks

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:44:33AM +0100, Benedict Verheyen spake thus:
> Hi,
>
> i'm interested in learning more on how DNS works (mx records and the like)
> and about networking in general. It's not that i do not have a basic grasp
> but i want to know exactely what goes on in networking without having to
> read the RFC's :)
> So, i came up with these 2 books:
>
> * DNS and BIND, O'Reilly UK; ISBN: 0596001584
> * Internet Core Protocols: The Definitive Guide, O'Reilly UK;
>   ISBN: 1565925726
>
> Any other books that would be more suited/also interesting?
>
> Thanks,
> Benedict

Hi Benedict,

For networking in general (and in detail), check out:

  * TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1: The Protocols, by W. Richard Stevens,
    Addison-Wesley; ISBN: 0-201-63346-9

  * Interconnections, Second Edition: Bridges, Routers, Switches, and
    Internetworking Protocols, by Radia Perlman, Addison-Wesley;
    ISBN: 0-201-63448-1

Cheers,
-Al

--
a l a n   d.   s a l e w s k i             salewski@worldnet.att.net
   We have developed a fantastically cutting edge web-based thin