Oldworld PPC install

Hi,

I've recently come into possession of a Power Macintosh G3 in beige case.  I
understand this to be oldworld mac.  It has a 6GB IDE disk, a 4.3 GB SCSI
disk and 320 MB RAM.

stable/main/disks-powerpc/current/powermac/images-1.44/boot-floppy-hfs.img was
booted however after about 20 seconds the penguin in the middle of the screen
gets covered by a red X and the floppy is no longer being read.

I then tried the BootX installer (?) from
stable/main/disks-powerpc/current/powermac/BootX_1.2.2.sit and was able to
boot into the installer from MacOS (8.5).

I have 10 years+ of Linux experience and 6+ years Debian experience but I am
confused and scared when it comes to this MAC :-(  I have no idea how to
partition the disk, if I wipe out MacOS will I have any way of booting into
the installer again?  Now I am unsure how to proceed.

Is d-i for oldworld ppc ready yet, should I be looking at d-i rather than the
woody installer?  Certainly from a hardware detection point of view I prefer
the idea of using d-i.

I'm not finding the woody install manual too enlightening at the moment but
maybe it's the late hour.  Any advice appreciated.
--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                 http://www.wehave.net/