Re: dynamic IP questions?

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 10:24:33PM -0500, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 09:13:55AM -0500, 0debian user wrote:
> >
> > Also I wanted to run my own web server and mail server but my machine is
> > not always online so how can I do it?
>
> Go to http://www.dyndns.org/ and sign up there.  They give you up to 5
> hostnames for free, you just have to update the IP address every time you
> redial.  That's who I get my 3 hostnames through, and I'm happy with them. :)
> I recommend ipcheck.py (apt-get install ipcheck) to update the addy.
> However, don't ask me how to *automate* the update script, because I'm still
> trying to figure that out myself.

Works fine for me, too... I use ddclient, which can be run either as a
daemon to update automatically every so often (default 5 minutes) or as
required from a script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d (generated by debconf if you say
that's what you want).

Note, though, that when you go offline someone else will probably get your
old IP, which your dyndns record will still be pointing to. So if that
person happens to be running a mail server, mail sent to you will go to
someone else's machine. Hopefully, it will bounce, and all that happens is
you lose it...

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons