Re: Oldworld PPC install

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 10:20:20AM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:

> I've recently come into possession of a Power Macintosh G3 in beige
> case.  I understand this to be oldworld mac.  It has a 6GB IDE disk, a
> 4.3 GB SCSI disk and 320 MB RAM.
>
> stable/main/disks-powerpc/current/powermac/images-1.44/boot-floppy-hfs.img
> was booted however after about 20 seconds the penguin in the middle of
> the screen gets covered by a red X and the floppy is no longer being
> read.
>
> I then tried the BootX installer (?) from
> stable/main/disks-powerpc/current/powermac/BootX_1.2.2.sit and was
> able to boot into the installer from MacOS (8.5).
>
> I have 10 years+ of Linux experience and 6+ years Debian experience
> but I am confused and scared when it comes to this MAC :-(  I have no
> idea how to partition the disk, if I wipe out MacOS will I have any
> way of booting into the installer again?  Now I am unsure how to
> proceed.

This is actually more appropriate for the powerpc list, but to answer
your question, no.  If you remove the existing Mac OS on the older
systems you will have no way of booting the system.  The BootX boot
loader hooks into the existing MacOS boot process.  Additionally your
kernels are actually stored on the file system of the existing MacOS
install.

I too found my first oldworld Mac installation to be a bit confusing.

--
Jamin W. Collins