Re: OT: ISO and Image files-semantics problem

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:09:23PM -0500, alex wrote:
> Nano Nano wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 09:46:47AM -0500, alex wrote:
> >[snip]
> >
> >A downloaded ISO is an image.
> >The installation CD is not an image
> >The installation CD is a duplicate of the contents of the image.
> >

> How simple it would be to say  "The installation CD is a duplicate of
> the extracted contents of the ISO"

I'm not sure there is a correct answer to this.

The things you can do with an ISO are: mount it, burn it, extract it.

"Burning an ISO" involves special ioctl commands specific to CDs to place
the contents of the ISO on the CD.

"Extracting an ISO" involves reading the ISO's structure and creating
files on a writable file system.  You could then copy those files to a
CD directly, if the CD has a writable UDF file system, but the resulting
CD won't be the same as if you burn it, in general.

"Mounting an ISO" involves treating the ISO as a read-only file system,
no copying involved.

Is that clear?