OT: ISO and Image files-semantics problem

I'm having a semantics problem when it comes to discussions of ISO and image files.

In some documentations, ISO's are sometimes called image files and sometimes image files are called ISO files or so it seems to me. I've wasted a lot of time looking at FAQs, dozens of websites including CD burner information and other documents for clarification of this subject and still haven't found a definititive answer. The way the two words, ISO and image, are used by some writers
makes it  very confusing  for me

Using a downloaded Debian ISO as an example-----is it correct to call it an image or does it become an image only after it has been processed into the CD that will be used to install Debian.. Please excuse the reference but to my mind, it seems that a download ISO is like a zipped file in MS Windows and the image like the unzipped version of it.

Is it ever correct to call the downloaded ISO an image and the extracted data. ISO? Can someone set me straight on this ISO and image business.? Please don't just throw a couple of websites at me........been there, bookmarked them, printed them, studied them,..............
To make it easy for you (and me).  delete the incorrect  answer

A downloaded ISO    is        is  not       an  image.
The installation CD     is        is  not       an  image

alex