Re: using cd roms with dselect

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:00:38 -0900, Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net> wrote:

On Saturday 10 January 2004 03:23 pm, Jim Higson wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:01:41 +0000, Pigeon
<jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk>

wrote:
>> I don't have a cd burner, so how can I get apt-get install to see
>> the iso
>> images as install sources without burning the images to discs?
>
> The quick-and-nasty way: when apt asks for the cd to be inserted in
> /cdrom/,
> before you press return, switch to another VC and symlink
> /dev/cdrom to the
> iso mount point.
>
> It can be done "properly" but I can't remember off the top of my
> head exactly how, and I'm not on the system that I have set up
> "properly" so I can't post its config. Sorry!

Ok. That sounds fine for now. I wonder is the 'right' way to create a
local debian mirror? If so can this be done from the isos?

When you get to that machine I'd be interested in seeing the proper
config if you can post it.

--
Jim Higson

RE: the quick & nasty way ...: AFAIK, 'apt-cdrom add' looks to the
standard mount point for the cdrom, however, there is an option to use
with 'apt-cdrom (-d)' that allows you to specify the mount point. I
think, haven't done this, that you could loop mount each iso, i.e.,
as /mnt/cdrom1-7, then point apt-cdrom to each mount point. You will
always have to have each cdrom mounted on the same mount point for
dselect or apt-get to work though. A local mirror is a cleaner way but
I don't know how to get a mirror from the 7 cdroms.

Yeah. Upthread (but snipped) I mentioned using apt-cdrom with -d. Problem is disc name but not mount point is stored in sources.list so when I apt-get install it still wants to use /cdrom/

--
Jim Higson