Re: serial terminal and reboot troubleshooting with new kernel

In article <[🔎] 20040109044549.72896.qmail@web20729.mail.yahoo.com>,
truck loser  <debian_posting@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Recently I installed woody with the 2.2 kenel. When I upgraded to the
>2.4 kernel I was left with too nerve racking problems. First, my serial
>terminal no longer prints out the startup and shutdown messages.  Also,
>no iptables logging is showing up on the terminal (but is on
>monitor).Second, I cannot reboot.  Computer shuts down, says
>Rebooting....... then I just get a blank screen.Anyone have any ideas?

Is your /dev/console character major 5 minor 1 ?

# ls -l /dev/console
crw-------    1 root     tty        5,   1 2003-12-23 13:50 /dev/console

If not:

# cd /dev
# rm console
# ./MAKEDEV console

There is one other thing. If you upgrade to 'testing', you might
get sysvinit/sysv-rc/initscripts version 2.85-7. That version
shows the symptoms you describe if you define a serial console
w/ baudrate on the kernel command line. Upgrade to 2.85-9 from
unstable (or wait until it hits 'testing').

Mike.