serial terminal and reboot troubleshooting with new kernel

Recently I installed woody with the 2.2 kenel. When I upgraded to the 2.4 kernel I was left with too nerve racking problems. First, my serial terminal no longer prints out the startup and shutdown messages. Also, no iptables logging is showing up on the terminal (but is on monitor). Second, I cannot reboot. Computer shuts down, says Rebooting....... then I just get a blank screen. Anyone have any ideas?

Do you Yahoo!?