installing kernel?

Hi I am running Debian unstable with kernel image 2.2.18

Due to some root exploits I've read about I think I should install a newer kernel.

I have some questions:

1) What kernel should I install (a 2.4.24 stable kernel or a more risky 2.6.0)?

2) How does one install kernel image package in Debian? Do I have to move ny old modules directory away so they are not overwritten if the new kernel fails and I must boot the old one?

3) How does one install kernel from source in Debian? After it is compiled I should move the kernel image to /vmlinuz and copy over the System.map file to / ? I should run "lilo -v" before reboot?

4) What should I add to /etc/lilo.conf so it will let me select old or new kernel?

5) What is initrd and is it good to use?

6) How do I know what in the kernel config I should let the kernel load as modules and what should be compiled into the kernel image?

7) Is there a good kernel install/config guide that is tailored to Debian and addresses 2.4.24 or 2.6.0 kernel?

Regards!
Zach

High-speed users?be more efficient online with the new MSN Premium Internet Software. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=byoa/prem&ST=1