Re: installing kernel?

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 09:07:56AM -0500, 0debian user wrote:
> 1) What kernel should I install (a 2.4.24 stable kernel or a more risky
> 2.6.0)?

Go with 2.6.0.  The water's fine.  8:o)

> 2) How does one install kernel image package in Debian? Do I have to move
> ny old modules directory away so they are not overwritten if the new kernel
> fails and I must boot the old one?
>
> 3) How does one install kernel from source in Debian? After it is compiled
> I should move the kernel image to /vmlinuz and copy over the System.map
> file to / ? I should run "lilo -v" before reboot?
[...]
> 7) Is there a good kernel install/config guide that is tailored to Debian
> and addresses 2.4.24 or 2.6.0 kernel?

Leave your current image package installed, just apt-get yourself a
new image.  If you want to compile from source, get
kernel-source-2.6.0 and it should automatically pull in the dev tools
you need, plus kernel-package.  Look in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package
for documentation on how to compile a Debianized kernel package with
your own options.

> 4) What should I add to /etc/lilo.conf so it will let me select old or new
> kernel?

Don't.  The Debian packages just make symlinks point where things need
to go so it doesn't have to keep changing lilo.conf

> 5) What is initrd and is it good to use?
>
> 6) How do I know what in the kernel config I should let the kernel load as
> modules and what should be compiled into the kernel image?

initrd is INITial Ram Disk.  It's someplace to load kernel modules
from required to boot if you like using lots of modules (for smaller,
faster kernels).  Most people won't notice the difference of not using
an initrd and having the required stuff compiled straight in, but
initrd doesn't require you to know what you need, just compile all the
modules.

It seems to be a matter of preference in whether you want to have the
hassle at compile time or not, for a small convienence down the road.

- --
: :'  :
`. `'`     proud Debian admin and user