Re: DHCP over bridge between WiFi and wired

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:30:47PM -0700, Barak Pearlmutter wrote:
> I have a WAP which serves DHCP requests.
> I have a laptop with an 802.11b interface.  The laptop connects
> to the WAP and gets its IP address via DHCP.
> I have another device (Grandstream BudgeTone-101, a non-wireless SIP
> phone) which uses DHCP as it boots.
> The laptop has an otherwise-unused wired ethernet interface.
> I would like to use the laptop as a bridge, thus allowing the SIP
> phone to plug into the laptop while I'm laying in bed.
>
>     $ grep -A9 br0 /etc/network/interfaces
>
>     iface br0 inet dhcp
> 	    pre-up egrep --silent '^3c59x' /proc/modules || modprobe 3c59x
> 	    pre-up /etc/init.d/pcmcia start || true
> 	    pre-up cardctl insert || true
> 	    pre-up ifconfig eth0 down || true
> 	    pre-up ifconfig eth1 down || true
> 	    bridge_ports all
> 	    bridge_maxwait 5
> 	    bridge_stp on
>
> The bridge seems to work fine, except that the SIP phone never gets
> its IP address.  Ie DHCP does not seem to completely cross the bridge.
>
> Any hints?

Not really hints, but I've seen this on a bridge running iptables.  I
assumed it was the iptables rules not letting DHCP through.  I didn't go
any further as I was always going to put a DHCP server on the other side
of the bridge anyway.  Perhaps you could run ethereal and grab a trace
to find out if any DHCP gets across at all.

But it's strange.  I didn't think a bridge knew anything about such
high-level protocols.  I know that with different subnets, there is DHCP
relay, but I don't think that applies here.

I'd be interested to know what you find out.

Please don't CC me.  Also _please_ read the following before posting:
Documentation - http://www.debian.org/doc/
FAQ - http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/
Install manual (i386) - http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install