Re: problem with two same 3c905c-tx ethernet cards, but no problem with only one

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 11:31:21AM +0100, vincent de bossoreille wrote:
> I am configuring my firewall under Debian .0r2 kernel
> 2.4.18
>
> When it is only one card intalled, I can go the Web
> and surfing as I want, and so on. for that, the module
> is 3c59x into the kernel and PPPs modules (using pppoe
> protocol) for the ADSL modem Fast 908 with ethernet
> interface.
> So with one card, there is no problem. but a firewall
> has at least two interfaces to proceed NAT,
> Firewalling, etc...
>
> But when I put the secand card into the PCI bus, the
> modem is not only not found, but also the second
> interface make an internal error so that the machine
> is not processing for ever until rebooting.
> When pppoeconf is searching interface to locate the
> modem, the first interface doesn't respond (but it
> must I think) and the second is causing the problem.
>
> At boot, the two cards as assigned to IRQ10, so is
> that ok or not?

IIRC (its been some time since I played with such stuff), there are two
things you need to note:

1. The order of eth0 and eth1 is dependent of the order of the cards in
the bus if they are both detected at the same time. Thus if you change
the order it would change which one is eth0 and with one is eth1.

2. The irq can also depend on the slot which the cards are in.

This you should try playing around with the slots you put the second
card in (maybe the location of both cards even) and the order you put
them it and see if that solves your problem.