problem with two same 3c905c-tx ethernet cards, but no problem with only one

I am configuring my firewall under Debian .0r2 kernel
2.4.18

When it is only one card intalled, I can go the Web
and surfing as I want, and so on. for that, the module
is 3c59x into the kernel and PPPs modules (using pppoe
protocol) for the ADSL modem Fast 908 with ethernet
interface.
So with one card, there is no problem. but a firewall
has at least two interfaces to proceed NAT,
Firewalling, etc...

But when I put the secand card into the PCI bus, the
modem is not only not found, but also the second
interface make an internal error so that the machine
is not processing for ever until rebooting.
When pppoeconf is searching interface to locate the
modem, the first interface doesn't respond (but it
must I think) and the second is causing the problem.

At boot, the two cards as assigned to IRQ10, so is
that ok or not?
in my /etc/network/interfaces, I put the network
192.168.10.x the the first card and 192.168.20.x to
the second. I don't know if this causes problems (but
I don't think).

Is anyone could help me to resolve the problem and
explain me why the system doesn't work normally?
For information, the PNP OS Bios is off.

=====
Vincent de BOSSOREILLE
Angers - France
vins_bozo@yahoo.fr