Re: need advice on fixing my home lan

Paul E Condon had the gall to say:
> I have a small LAN in my home. I need some advice on tuning it.
>
> I've started working on a project wherein I move large files (>3GB)
> between two Debian boxes. This is a slow process. I would like to be
> sure that it goes as fast as is reasonable. I think all my LAN cards
> are claimed by their makers to be 10/100, but for some this might be
> marketing hype. All my cables are 'CAT5'. So, some questions:
>
> How do I determine whether my lan is passing data at 10 or 100 MHz?

I'd set up some sort of plain (i.e. not scp) data transfer test between
the hosts.  A temporary internal ftp/http server should do fine.

Then do a "wget http://my.other.local.ip/a.large.file/"; and see what the
average data rate is.  ~1 meg per second == 10Mbps connection, ~10 megs
per second == 100 Mbps connection.

Cheers,
jc