Re: need advice on fixing my home lan

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 08:52:53AM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I have a small LAN in my home. I need some advice on tuning it.
>
> I've started working on a project wherein I move large files (>3GB)
> between two Debian boxes. This is a slow process. I would like to be
> sure that it goes as fast as is reasonable. I think all my LAN cards
> are claimed by their makers to be 10/100, but for some this might be
> marketing hype. All my cables are 'CAT5'. So, some questions:
>
> How do I determine whether my lan is passing data at 10 or 100 MHz?
>
> If I find it is 10MHz, what can I do to find which hardware needs
> upgrading to make it work at 100MHz?

It MBs not MHz

> Are there software diagnostic tools that would help me with this?
> Package names?

There are three tools I know of that will let you check/set the state
of the cards

ethtool
mii-tool
mii-diag

These will tell what state the cards is in (10/100 MBs, half/full
duplex).
There are also tools that will graph the traffic speed through the card
although I can't remember the names now (don't use them).
Also check your harddrive speed. In my case its more of a limiting
factor then my network speed.
Do hdparm -t /dev/hd<disk id>
My laptop goes to 3MBs and an old mac I have does 10MBs.