Re: Kernel Problem: cs5530_set_xfer_mode(UDMA2)

Russell Shaw schrieb:
Kevin Boergens wrote:

Hi!

I've got a nasty problem with my kernel (2.4.18-bf2.4) on Woody
I discussed a long time about it in de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware, but no solution was found, maybe someone over here can help, it looks like a Debian problem:

My southbridge is a National Semiconductor CS5530
http://www.national.com/pf/CS/CS5530.html

And the IDE-Controller doesn't change to UDMA2.

I bootet with a S.u.S.E. 7.3 with Kernel 2.4.10-4GB
and there I read the following message in the kernel log:

hda: cs5530_set_xfer_mode(UDMA2)

And with S.u.S.E everything works fine.

How do I get my Debian kernel (I just apt-getted the image) to do it alike?

A guess: man hdparm, search for udma2.

I worked a lot with hdparm, but it wasn't able to activate UDMA2 (Only nasty messages in syslog). The option -X is very dangerous, and seldom to be used, if everything worked fine within the kernel, than it is not needed. It switches automatically to the best mode available.

Bye,
	Kevin