Re: font problem in OO

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 12:41:56PM +0100, Chris Halls wrote......

> I assume that you are not using KDE or Gnome?  If that was the case, OOo
> would use the same font as your desktop, and you shouldn't have
> problems.

Not using KDE or Gnome for a desktop/wm.  Using fluxbox.

> It sounds like OOo has picked a font for the user interface that does
> not have a mapping for western letters.

My locales that I compiled into my kernel we show up in dpkg-reconfigure
locales are:

en_US.UTF-8
en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.ISO-8859-15
and the two Japanese locales.

> The mappings are in
> /usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry/data/org/openoffice/VCL.xcu

Chris

First, thanks much for your reply and the helpful thoughts.

Second, I looked at my VCL.xcu file, and here's what it had for UI_SANS:

<prop oor:name="UI_SANS" oor:op="replace" oor:type="xs:string">
    <value>Andale Sans UI;Arial Unicode MS;Lucida Sans
    Unicode;Tahoma;Bitstream Vera Sans;Interface
    User;WarpSans;Geneva;Tahoma;MS Sans Serif;Helv;Dialog;
    Albany;Lucida;Helvetica;Charcoal;Chicago;Arial;Helmet;Interface
    System;Sans Serif</value>
</prop>

Now, much higher in the file, the first <prop> entry was for
name="LATIN_DISPLAY", and it's first font was Albany.  Not sure if that
matters, but thought I'd mention it.

> It would be helpful for us if you could find out which font OOo is using
> on your system.  Which is the first font in this list that OOo has
> available in its list of fonts?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this question.  Do you mean "of
the fonts listed in my VCL.xcu file under <prop oor:name="UI_SAN", what
is the first font that I have available on my system for OO to use?

If so, I have found that I have Andale Mono, but not specifically Andale
Sans UI per se.  To be honest, when it comes to playing with fonts in
Linux/Debian, I haven't learned the ropes yet.  They don't seem to be
just in one place and there seems to be at least a couple of different
config type programs for them.  I'm not complaining as having lots of
flexibility with fonts is a good thing, but I just have figured it out
yet nor have I found anything comprehensive that covers the topic well
but in layman's terms.

Anyway, I digress.  I'm still not sure what to do next.

> One way to work around the problem is to add a font substitution for
> 'Andale Sans UI' to map to a font that you have - then OOo will always
> pick that font for the menus.

This sounds promising, but I've no idea about how to add a font
substitition.  Is that with defoma, or fonts-conf, or something else?
Sorry to be such a klutz in this respect, but I suspect I'm not alone
when it comes to fonts.

Thanks, Kevin

--
Kevin Coyner