Re: font problem in OO

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 15:09, Kevin Coyner wrote:
> > I assume that you are not using KDE or Gnome?  If that was the case, OOo
> > would use the same font as your desktop, and you shouldn't have
> > problems.
>
> Not using KDE or Gnome for a desktop/wm.  Using fluxbox.

OK.

> > It sounds like OOo has picked a font for the user interface that does
> > not have a mapping for western letters.
>
> My locales that I compiled into my kernel we show up in dpkg-reconfigure
> locales are:

I don't think that has anything to do with it.

> Second, I looked at my VCL.xcu file, and here's what it had for UI_SANS:
>
> <prop oor:name="UI_SANS" oor:op="replace" oor:type="xs:string">
>     <value>Andale Sans UI;Arial Unicode MS;Lucida Sans
>     Unicode;Tahoma;Bitstream Vera Sans;Interface
>     User;WarpSans;Geneva;Tahoma;MS Sans Serif;Helv;Dialog;
>     Albany;Lucida;Helvetica;Charcoal;Chicago;Arial;Helmet;Interface
>     System;Sans Serif</value>
> </prop>
>
> Now, much higher in the file, the first <prop> entry was for
> name="LATIN_DISPLAY", and it's first font was Albany.  Not sure if that
> matters, but thought I'd mention it.

No, we're talking about the user interface font which is name UI_SANS.
LATIN_DISPLAY is used for something else.

> > It would be helpful for us if you could find out which font OOo is using
> > on your system.  Which is the first font in this list that OOo has
> > available in its list of fonts?
>
> I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this question.  Do you mean "of
> the fonts listed in my VCL.xcu file under <prop oor:name="UI_SAN", what
> is the first font that I have available on my system for OO to use?

Well, yes, except I meant specificly from within OOo.  I.e. open the
Format->Character menu item and look through the list of fonts you see
there.  I think this list will be the same as the list you get from the
'fc-list' command, which lists all of the fontconfig fonts available,
but I haven't verified it.

> If so, I have found that I have Andale Mono, but not specifically Andale
> Sans UI per se.  To be honest, when it comes to playing with fonts in
> Linux/Debian, I haven't learned the ropes yet.  They don't seem to be
> just in one place and there seems to be at least a couple of different
> config type programs for them.  I'm not complaining as having lots of
> flexibility with fonts is a good thing, but I just have figured it out
> yet nor have I found anything comprehensive that covers the topic well
> but in layman's terms.

Well, it's nice of you to give the benefit of the doubt, but really this
is just a pain, not knowing where all your fonts are and having to do
all this manual stuff.  It should all 'just work', right?  Well,
thankfully work is underway to improve the situation, and that is where
fontconfig comes in.  Apps that use the fontconfig library all get their
fonts in the same way, and you just have to drop the font in your
~/.fonts or /usr/local/share/fonts difectory, and the rest is done for
you.  The Debian OOo packages use fontconfig.

> > One way to work around the problem is to add a font substitution for
> > 'Andale Sans UI' to map to a font that you have - then OOo will always
> > pick that font for the menus.
>
> This sounds promising, but I've no idea about how to add a font
> substitition.  Is that with defoma, or fonts-conf, or something else?
> Sorry to be such a klutz in this respect, but I suspect I'm not alone
> when it comes to fonts.

Whenever you have problems you should read the README.  In fact we even
print a message when you run OOo for the first time:

OpenOffice.org for Debian - see /usr/share/doc/openoffice.org/README.Debian.gz

That file doesn't contain random uninteresting thoughts from the package
developers.  It contains solutions to real world problems brought up by
various users of the packages.  Oh, guess what.  It also tells you how
to substitute your menu fonts.  So GO AND READ THE README!!  Even if you
missed the message, you should *always* check in
/usr/share/doc/<packagename> when you are trying to solve a problem.
Before writing to the mailing list.  That way, you can save the
developers from having to write the same thing over and over, and they
can go and fix bugs instead and help get Sarge out :)

Thanks,
Chris