Re: font problem in OO

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 11:15, Kevin Coyner wrote:
> I recently did a new install on a laptop of unstable.  I also loaded up
> openoffice 1.1.0.
>
> For the first time I actually brought up OO yesterday, and was surprised
> when all of the menu headings, etc. were mostly vertical rectangles.
> Only the hot keys were actual letters.

I assume that you are not using KDE or Gnome?  If that was the case, OOo
would use the same font as your desktop, and you shouldn't have
problems.

It sounds like OOo has picked a font for the user interface that does
not have a mapping for western letters.

The mappings are in /usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry/data/org/openoffice/VCL.xcu

OOo looks at the SANS_UI entry for your locale to determine which entry
to use, taking the first font that exists.  Assuming you are using the
locale settings you posted, I think it will use this entry:

   <prop oor:name="UI_SANS" oor:op="replace" oor:type="xs:string">
    <value>Andale Sans UI;Arial Unicode MS;Lucida Sans
Unicode;Tahoma;Interface User;WarpSans;Geneva;Tahoma;MS Sans
Serif;Helv;Dialog;Albany;L
ucida;Helvetica;Charcoal;Chicago;Arial;Helmet;Interface System;Sans
Serif;Luxi Sans;Bitstream Vera Sans</value>
   </prop>

(Note: your entry will have Bitstream Vera further forward in the list -
I'm running a prerelease of the next packages).

It would be helpful for us if you could find out which font OOo is using
on your system.  Which is the first font in this list that OOo has
available in its list of fonts?

Andale Sans UI;Arial Unicode MS;Lucida Sans Unicode;Tahoma;Interface
User;WarpSans;Geneva;Tahoma;MS Sans Serif;Helv;Dialog;Albany;L
ucida;Helvetica;Charcoal;Chicago;Arial;Helmet;Interface System;Sans
Serif;Luxi Sans;Bitstream Vera Sans

One way to work around the problem is to add a font substitution for
'Andale Sans UI' to map to a font that you have - then OOo will always
pick that font for the menus.

Chris