Re: apt-get update question

 --- Stephen Liu <satimis@icare.com.hk> wrote: > Hi
folks,

> Following is the content of /etc/apt/sources.list in
> my Debian box
>
> #deb copy:///cdrom/ sarge main
>
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Sarge_ -
> Official NetInst Snapshot i386
> Binary-1 (20031118)]/ unstable contrib main
>
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
> contrib
>
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> contrib
> deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> contrib
>

> If I expect update only taking effect on "testing
> main" whether I have to
> comment out;
> # deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates
> main contrib
> # deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> contrib
> # deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> contrib
>
> And if I expect update only taking effect on "stable
> main" whether I have to
> comment out;
> # deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> # deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main
>
> I failed to find information on man apt-get
>
> Kindly advise
>
> TIA
>
> B.R.
> Stephen Liu

Stephen,
You don't have to comment out one of the sources,
though you could do this. Keep both in your
sources.list and run apt-get update. Running apt-get
upgrade or apt-get install package_x after that will
only pull it in from stable unless you use the '-t
testing' flag on the command line.
HOWEVER, be aware that running a mixed stable/testing
system could lead to conflicts and breakages. A
testing/unstable mix is generally a safer approach.