[postfix-tls] SASL LOGIN authentication failed

I've just installed postfix-tls but it will not authenticate users with SASL. The
error is simply "SASL LOGIN authentication failed" but that's it. I have verbose
logging on. Is there any way to get more information from the SASL module?

I took a trace and see that postfix is offering AUTH LOGIN PLAIN, LOGIN is
negotiated, and I have triple checked the base64 encoded credentials being passed.
The password is right.

Other than the defalult config I created /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf with
pwcheck_method: pwcheck (is there any way to check this pwcheck program?) and
added the following to /etc/postfix/main.cf:

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated,
check_relay_domains

>From the documentation this looks like all that should be necessary.

The only thing I can think of is that the postfix instance is not an authority for
the domain the machine is on. Meaning I have myhostname = host123.foo.isp.com. The
MX records don't point to host123 but it get's emails sent to
user@host123.foo.isp.com. I was hoping to get all of this working first before I
change the MX records for real.

The funny thing is I'm running basically the same setup on another host without
any problems (with saslauthd though).

So where do I go from here? I'm stumped.

Thanks,
Mike

--
A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are