Re: dpkg and ownership of a file

On 2004-01-08, Brad Stockdale penned:

>>That is called "trolling."  Please don't.
>
> But it more appropriately should have been called a "badly worded
> question from a previous staunch supporter of Red Hat before they
> became what they are today".
>
> Trolling, AFAIK is a comment used specifically to instigate an
> altercation of some type. That was not my intention at all, and
> apologize if it was taken in such a way.
>
> Sorry, Brad

By way of possible explanation ...

We've had a long series of "Why can't Debian do what RedHat/Mandrake
do?" questions recently.  In some cases, the question is fair: something
that Debian doesn't do that would seemingly be consistent with
Debian's goals and would make the user experience better.  In
many-to-most cases, however, Debian *can* do what they're asking.
It may not do so by default, often for security reasons.

So, while you probably didn't intend it as such, any question phrased as
"RH does this; why doesn't Debian?" or similar tends to inflame a sore
nerve.

I think that most of us would much rather see a question phrased as,

"I would like to do X.  How can I do so using Debian
[stable|testing|unstable]?"

than,

"RedHat did X for me.  Why can't Debian?"

--
monique