Re: (OT) Re: Godel

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:38:00AM -0500, hendrik@pooq.com wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 01:25:09AM -0800, Tom wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 10:11:39AM +0100, Nicos Gollan wrote:

> > > The one(s) doing this wouldn't survive the lynching parties the
> > > theoreticians would start, and AFAIK, the Goedel stuff is rather well
> > > proven. So don't hold your breath.
> > >

> > Good.  I was hoping someone smart would speak up.  (I was a lousy
> > mathematician which is why I switched to computers.  Much easier.)
> >
> > I accept Godel.  Does it matter much in day to day life?  Or is it just
> > something not to worry about.

Forgive me if I missed something as I am entering in, in the middle, but
Godel's theorem isn't of much use in everyday life. Its useful in that
it states how far you can, or more precisely can't go with formal logic.

It basically states that in any formal logic system you either can't
prove everything covered by that system, or you will be able to prove
paradoxes (and that includes the logic system used for modern day
mathematics. And there are paradoxes in mathematics, but as of now
nowhere important afaik (it gives things that you can usually assume
whichever way is comfortable to you and it won't matter)

It did come in the middle of an epic three volume work by  Alfred
North Whitehead and  Bertrand Russell called Principia Mathematica that
tried to build a paradox-less logical basis to mathematical proof, and
showed that what they were doing was actually impossible (that work has
very great significance all the same)

As for disproving it. If you disprove it then go ahead and check where
you were wrong. Since it was proven mathematically and not physically,
you can take it as truth.