access to /dev/sound,/dev/dsp for current physical user

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew a clean way to make it so the user running any kind of Xwindows session is the only one who can access the sound device. It would be nice to make /dev/sound writable by any of our students, but I know it will not be long before they will start ssh'ing to machines and start blasting the people working on them
with whatever soundbytes they can think of.

I changed the --disable-sound lines to --enable-sound in gdm.conf, but I really don't know what that was supposed to do. I was thinking I insert a few lines in every file under /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions such that it would make /dev/sound and /dev/dsp writable by username. This solution seems ugly to me. Can anyone think of a nice way to do this?

Thanks!

Rohit