Re: Installation: input device lock on first graphic screen

On 1/8/2004, "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

>>When I try to install either Woody bf24 or Sarge on my Dell Dimension
XPS
>>8250 the keyboard and mouse lock up at the moment after transition from
the
>>text part of the install to the first graphic screen "Choose Language."

>Does the capslock light work if you toggle the capslock?

No.

> Does Alt-F2
>have any effect?

No. AFAICT, my keyboard is completely dead.

If I try to boot leaving on frame buffering, it locks up with the num-lock
and caps-lock lights on. If I turn off frame buffering, these lights are
off. But the deadness of the keyboard seems to be equal in both cases.

>I'd pop a Knoppix CD in and boot off that to see if it works, just for
>information gathering purposes.

Actually, I already have a MEPIS installation on the hard drive, and of
course MEPIS recognizes all of my hardware and installs with no problem.
But I am not totally happy with it, because I lose some key Debian
functions, such as apt-get upgrade (because MEPIS makes some changes in the
kernel, so you can only upgrade when MEPIS does). So I was sort of
interested in seeing if I could get a "pure" Debian installed.

But since MEPIS is there, I can get information. What kind of information
would be pertinent in this case?

Thanks,

Chuck

Charles Muller