Re: Installation: input device lock on first graphic screen

Charles Muller wrote:

 On 1/8/2004, "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

>> When I try to install either Woody bf24 or Sarge on my Dell
>> Dimension XPS 8250 the keyboard and mouse lock up at the moment
>> after transition from the text part of the install to the first
>> graphic screen "Choose Language."

> I'd pop a Knoppix CD in and boot off that to see if it works, just
> for information gathering purposes.

 Actually, I already have a MEPIS installation on the hard drive, and
 of course MEPIS recognizes all of my hardware and installs with no
 problem. But I am not totally happy with it, because I lose some key
 Debian functions, such as apt-get upgrade (because MEPIS makes some
 changes in the kernel, so you can only upgrade when MEPIS does). So I
 was sort of interested in seeing if I could get a "pure" Debian
 installed.

 But since MEPIS is there, I can get information. What kind of
 information would be pertinent in this case?

By "information gathering purposes", I mostly just meant "to see if another Linux setup works properly". You MEPIS installation answers that question.

I think what I'd do is try the different kernel versions on the install disk, such as compact or idepci; then later if that works, you can upgrade your kernel.

--
Kent