Re: KVM switch recomendation?

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:29:06 +0100
John Stevenson <john.stevenson@objectcore.co.uk> wrote:

> >Well, I have a Belkin SOHO 4-port (PS/2) that exhibits X issues. If
> >I'm using a wheel mouse (IMPS/2) and switch ports, the mouse goes
> >crazy. One generally knowledgeable person hinted that USB mice might
> >not have such an issue, but did not have any hard evidence to that
> >effect.

> I have been using a Belkin OmniCube 4-Port KVM for about 2 years
> without any of these problems.  However, I do not use a wheel mouse
> with the KVM and only use PS/2 keboard and mouse.

As far as I've been able to ascertain, the problem is specific to the
IMPS/2 (wheel mouse) protocol. Regular PS/2 mice work fine, as do wheel
mice if you force PS/2 protocol, and thus lose the wheel ability.

> I had been told that there was an error with these KVM's when using a
> wheel mouse.  I had also been told that you could download a script to
> fix this error.  Unfortunately I never looked into this and so cannot
> confirm if this is true.

Well, that is interesting! I've barely been able to find anything about
the problem at all, certainly not anything like a solution. I would be
willing to dig around some more, though - if I could get this KVM
working perfectly, I would be very happy. Do you remember even where you
might have heard this?

--
Todd Pytel

Signature attached