Re: locales and coding systems

On Sun,  4 Jan 2004 07:41:36 -0500 (EST), "Haines Brown"
<brownh@hartford-hwp.com> said:
> In my problematic file, the extended characters appear as
> octals. Initially I tried to so a search/replace to convert the octals
> into proper characters, but emacs would not accept the octals as a
> search term. I could not search for the \347 and replace it with a
> c-cedilla because the \347 I pasted into the minibuffer was not really
> a \347 octal, but only looked like it. Since normally I can paste an
> octal as a search term, there's something about these octals that is
> not right.

I assume you've been copying and pasting with M-w or C-w and then pasting
with C-y.  I wouldn't trust the mouse under neither X nor gpm in this
situation.

You can try file <filename>, if you have an up-to-date magic file it
could tell you something about encoding.

If the file is important enough, I could suggest something like a sed
script to do really low-level recovery of this mystery encoding.  Once I
did something the like, but I don't remember how.

GNU Emacs has an hex mode, I thing hexl or something.
--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra
http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/lgcdutra/