apache with ldap_ssl authentication

I have an Apache-ssl server with ldap authentication off of the Active Directory. From the client to the Apache server everything is ok. However the passwords are
sent plaintext over an ordinary unencrypted ldap session.

Apparently libapache-auth-ldap-1.6.0.deb does not support ldaps and need to be recompiled. Also there is an stunnel solution, but I was not able to get it to work. So I did:

   apt-get build-depends libapache-auth-ldap
   apt-get source libapache-auth-ldap

I configured --with-ssl, but when I try to compile it cannot find ldap_ssl.h:

   In file included from auth_ldap.c:20:
   auth_ldap.h:53: ldap_ssl.h: No such file or directory

I looked for this in the Debian repositories, but could not find it:

   zgrep ldap_ssl.h Contents-i386.gz

Has anyone successfully done what I am trying to do? Any advice? There was a thread about this
several months ago, but I did not see a solution posted.

Many thanks,

Rohit