Re: Synching disk on logout -- switched to EXT3

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 03:20:09PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <200312312255.12964.d_baron@012.net.il>,
> David Baron  <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
> >Thanks to all the good advice here, I made the switch to ext3. It was quite
> >painless, was neither doable nor necessitating a CD-boot.
> >
> >Just did the tune2fs -j and edited the fstab and rebooted.
> >
> >Note that on boot now, I get a warning something like:
> >ext2 loader warning, ext3 superblock ..... mounted ext3, filesystem ext2.
> >
> >Besides this, runs perfectly and survived one switch off with a flawless fsck.
>
> You must set the filesystems as ext3 in /etc/fstab. Not only that,
> you need to make sure ext3 is compiled into the kernel (not a module)
> or loaded in initrd, and tell the kernel that the root filesystem is
> of type ext3 instead of ext2. Otherwise the kernel will mount it
> as ext2.

Well I just did what was stated above on my test system
and it was suprisingly easy to do.

To test it, I had a bunch of files open and services running
and killed the power on the machine.

The system came right back up no problem.  I like it.  :-)

Now, why not do this on all systems?

(I manage 7 Debian boxes very far away so I should convert to ext3.)

The only argument I have seen by googling, is one fellow who says
that if his hardware is failing, he wants to know about it and
ext3 won't tell you about possible disk failures.

Thoughts?