pam_limits setrlimit log message

Hi all,

I am seeing messages of the following sort on one of my systems:

  pam_limits[25721]: setrlimit limit #6 to soft=-1, hard=-1 failed:
  Operation not permitted; uid=1000 euid=1000

The UID is mine, there are several cron processes and interactive
sessions running.

However, even though the ssh PAM service uses pam_limits as
a required session module, /etc/security/limits.conf is empty.

If I comment out the pam_limits module, then the messages go away,
obviously.

What's up? Or better: who is trying to setrlimit (what is it,
anyway)? And why is the operation not permitted? Is it pam_limits
saying no? Why is it saying no if I didn't instruct it to?

Thanks,

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"frank harris has been received
 in all the great houses -- once!"
                                                        -- oscar wilde